Tuesday, September 7, 2010

3 responses.

I was not able to find a way to post a comment on other posts so I will respond in this blog.

I agree with what Andrea said. So many times in classes we will write goals or a philosophy of teaching and never take it to that next step. Students write up what the teacher wants to hear or what they read in a book. I really like that we are actually going to use these goals throughout the semester. In other classes, I had never thought of coming up with student actions for each goal. That is taking goals to a higher level, and can lead to valuable self reflection, I think.

In response to Alisa's blog:
I also like that the goals are so broad, this isn't what we are expected to teach our students in 9 months, but over their entire education. As a teacher, every year we should contribute something and pass on something to our students that gets them closer to meeting these goals. The success of our students does depend largely on the teacher, and I want to make sure I give my students the proper tools and instruction to succeed. If a student is struggling, it is my job to adjust my teaching so they can be successful. I agree that demonstrating learning is a tough one, that could have so many actions and is so broad it can be hard to narrow down.

In response to Colleen's blog:

I also agree that as teacher's we can get caught up in the content and the curriculum, but it is important that we have goals for our students. I think this can be a collaborative process with your students as well, so they can be in charge of their own learning and what they want to get out of it. It can be hard to think big picture, instead of the daily lesson plans and objectives we write. I think teachers forget that it is important students gain skills to be successful in life not just in their classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment