Sunday, September 19, 2010

Class Reflection

So far, this classed has been completely different than what I expected. In most classes, you look at a powerpoint and listen to the professor lecture. At some point in the semester, every student has to come up with a certain amount of activities related to the subject, and then copies are made for everyone in the class for future use. That's fine, but I like that this class is different. Adapting and thinking on your feet are a very real part of teaching, so by watching a professor who practices that in class, it helps me feel better that class doesn't need to be perfect and smooth all the time.
Teaching the nature of science is a topic I had not been introduced to before, and the concept is still one I am wrestling with. Professor Kruse giving us an example of what a lesson might look like is helpful, because I was struggling to think of how a lesson would work. Re-training my thinking will be a process because I automatically refer back to how I learned. Instead, I need to refer to how students should learn. I also like that we are not expected to automatically accept or agree with what we are taught. The class is encouraged to ask questions and wrestle with new ideas.
 It is  frustrating not having due dates, but I can understand the reasoning behind it. I like to have information right in front of me so I can plan for it, but I do understand that is not the way teaching works. I am still also adjusting to the way the class is run. This class works differently from any other class I have taken, but with time I am getting used to it. While it is a struggle, it is also a good thing because new experiences are learning experiences.
I think this class relates to my future teaching because Professor Kruse works hard to model in class strategies we should be using as teachers. It can be easy to overlook the obvious, but now I make sure to pay attention to the reasoning behind actions. Also, even though I don't enjoy it all of the time, learning to use new kinds of technology is important. If we as teachers don't stay current on technology, it would be easy to fall behind our students. Technology can be a great tool in the classroom, if it is used correctly and safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment