Sunday, September 12, 2010

How Science Works

      I really got a lot from the continuum of learning that was written on the board. Having that visual representation really made it clear to me how I can best help my future students learn. Science is not made a priority in elementary school,and I feel there should be a bigger emphasis made so science does become so intimidating to students. By the time you reach middle school it becomes memorization of facts, and there is so much more to science than that. As elementary teachers, we can spark our students curiosity and encourage them to ask questions and make discoveries.
      Something else that stood out to me in class was discussing the difference between science and technology. I see the distinction but I had just never explicitly thought about it. It will be very easy to remember it by thinking science is the knowledge and technology is the application. With the growing use of technology in elementary schools, this will be an important distinction to make with students as well.
    I like that this class is redefining "science" for me, and I think it will make me a better teacher for my students. We all have preconceived notions, and for me science is intimidating and difficult. Professor Kruse has really simplified that, and made teaching science seem manageable. This class is going to be a good growing/learning experience.

2 comments:

  1. Great post, but one concern. When you say science is "knowledge", it makes it seem like science is a "bunch of facts". Consider how science is both a set of ideas AND a process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, I knew that's what I meant but I didn't explicitly state it.

    ReplyDelete